Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Lesson I Didn’t Learn in Grade School

I had a collection of more than a thousand comic books. I not only collected them but I read them voraciously and almost constantly, when I wasn't in school, playing with friends, or doing "chores." My mother worried that I was spending too much time with my comic books. My favorites were Wonder Woman and Classics Comics. One day I remember a word exercise in 2nd grade. The teacher gave the class a number of difficult word definitions. The one she gave me was "a race of giants." I quickly responded, to her amazement, with "Titans! She asked me how I had come to know that word. I said I read a book about Titans. I didn't tell her it was one of my comic books. So I learned that not every pastime is a waste of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment