Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Memory of Getting Ready for School

I remember a shopping trip with my mother in Minneapolis when I was in 1st or 2nd grade. This was the last chance for her to get me ready to go to school in the fall, for she was a "working" mother for all my growing up years. We had to take the streetcar to downtown, which was known in those days as "the Loop," and where the only department stores could be found.

She took me, sometimes literally dragged me, to Dayton's, Donaldson's, J.C. Penney and Sears, and whatever others sold clothing. I do not remember any details of the trip, except for the trauma (for her mostly) of her shoving me on the streetcar, watching the door close, and then running alongside it for a block to catch up, waving and screaming at the top of her lungs the whole way.

Milan & Mom & Dad ball game

No comments:

Post a Comment